The Muizenberg Festival is on its way and the festival is a week long event: (5th to the 12th October).
It’s about celebrating community-led development and showcasing the creative beauty of Muizenberg. There will be many beautiful performances, exhibitions, and concerts to enjoy.
The festival process began in early 2013, inspired by previous street festivals in Palmer Road that were fantastic successes. In 2014 Muizenberg has scaled up, presenting a festival like nothing else before.
The Festival is made up of projects that are about:
• Showcasing solutions to socio-economic and environmental challenges through dynamic design.
• Concerts and exhibitions that celebrate and share the creative wealth of Muizenberg.
Browse the projects on the festival website: www.muizenbergfestival.co.za
Muizenberg Festival 2014 is a World Design Capital project (#WDC244), taking inspiration from the WDC mission to transform through living design.
At the 6th WDC pitching session on the 27 June, the Festival won 1st prize out of 13 projects presenting their initiatives to a panel of judges: (http://news.wdc14.com/tag/wdc244-muizenberg-festival/)
The festival is a collaborative effort bringing together the people, organisations, businesses, and partners of Muizenberg. The festival is resourced by, and from the community. We have also crowdfunded, through Thundafund (www.thundafund.com) and recently reached our milestone of 50k: https://www.thundafund.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?projectId=263
Some highlights for the week include:
* Weekend concert (11th, 12th)
Some of the performances:
Mean Black Mamba
* Creative arts workshops run by Hand in Hand Creatives & Jungle Theatre (6th-10th)
* Theatre performances
* City Soiree concerts (6th, 7th, 9th, and 11th)
* Open Studio Tour (11th, 12th)
* Arts and Design Expo (11th, 12th)
* Festival parties (10th, 11th)
* Festival parade (11th)
* AMAK (Azania Mania Art Kollective) Opening party (3rd) & Parallel Lives Graphic storytelligng workshops (6th-9th)
* Retro surf contests (12th)
There is something for everyone at the Muizenberg Festival.